Sunday, February 6, 2011

Snowpocalypse Austin

I know all of you in the Midwest will be making some sort of face right now at this title...but let me tell you about the city-wide disaster that was Snowpocalypse Austin.  

It was Friday, February 4th.  I awoke at 5am to get ready for work.  I looked out the window and saw the ground covered with snow.  BARELY!  It was seriously less than 1 inch!


This insane amount of snow caused a city-wide meltdown!  ALL THE SCHOOLS WERE CLOSED!  The hospital offered to pay for all the employees to take cabs to work on their dime!  Businesses were closed.  It was chaos!  I have never seen a city taken to its knees over such a tiny amout of snow and ice! 

In Austin's defence...there are no plows and very few trucks capable of spreading salt on the streets.  No one has ice scrapers in their cars and the wiper fluid freezes in the car.  Most people here have never driven in snow so they have no idea how to do it!  They slam on the brakes when they hit an icy patch...BAD!  There were a TON of accidents. On my way to work on the highway, people were driving single file down the center of a 3 lane highway at 20 mph.  Seriously!  I was the rebel driving down the left lane at 40, perfectly safely.  Anyway...we all survived and by the time I drove home from work that night all the snow had melted and the ground was dry.  What a day ;)

No comments: