Monday, April 26, 2010

Heirloom

As long as I can remember, my Grandma Lach had a large clock in her living room that I knew would someday belong to me.   The clock was purchased by my Great Grandfather, Zenon Lach, in New York City.  Since my grandma passed away we have been going through her house and although this clock rightfully belongs to my dad now, he does not really have space for it so it has become mine.  I brought it home and cleaned it up and decided to do some research on it. I just cleaned it with a wet rag because I am not sure exactly what it is made out of and I didn't want to damage it, but it was totally full of dust!

Here are a few pictures of the Lach Clock after I wiped it up.



On the face of the clock I found the words: "Manufactured by The Ansonia Clock Co. New York. United States of America."    Inside of the clock I found a trademarked symbol.  It is a capital A with a square around it and then a diamond around that, which I discovered is the trademark for the Ansonia Clock Co. which was patented in New York on June 14, 1881.  Online I found a website that lists many of the clocks that were produced by this company with their names and pictures.  I discovered that I have the clock called "Music & Poetry" (Ly-Ansonia No. 483) which was created in 1894.   I believe the statues and clock are made of some kind of bronze.  They aren't in the greatest condition, but I think that the clock could easily be restored.  It still works...although the gonging is loud so I will not be winding the clock!  I found a picture online of someone's clock that has been restored.  Mine could be this beautiful again someday...perhaps by the time I have a formal living room or dining room to put it in!


No comments: