Thursday, January 27, 2011

Working...Busy Busy Busy

So, I promise the story about work.  First off, I switched to dayshift a couple of weeks ago.  For those of you who know me well, you'll know that I have never been a morning person.  I have worked nightshift for a long time and I LOVED it!  I have never had trouble sleeping during the day...until we moved to Texas.  I'm not exactly sure why, but I was having a terrible time sleeping.  I was tired all the time and had absolutely no energy.  So when the oppotunity to switch to dayshift arrived I snatched it up!  Shawn is quite happy about it because now I am home every night.  The waking up at 5am hasn't won me over yet, but I know this is the best thing for me and for us right now.

Everyone at work keeps asking how I like days...but it is really hard to answer right now because we are CRAZY BUSY at work.  Our NICU has been growing like a weed for the past couple of years.  Our NICU director has been on a journey to increase the reputation and quality of our NICU to allow us to become a Level III NICU in the Austin area that people are excited to utilize.  There was a huge expansion to the NICU about a year ago and she has been so successful in her plan that we have already outgrown the expansion!  We are filled past capacity right now!  We had to reopen the old nursery to use as overflow beds for stable babies getting ready to go home and both of our NICU bays are FULL!  We are technically full at 37 babies in our NICU bays but we currently have 46 babies in our NICU!  As well as not having enough space, we do not have enough staff!  We are hiring new people as fast as we can, but due to the busy time we really need nurses that already have NICU experience and that is a challenge to find.  So I have been working a lot lately to try to help our babies continue to receive the kind of care they would if we weren't busy.  And it doesn't look like the busy time is going to ease up any time soon, so my life currently is work, home, sleep, work, home, sleep...etc.  I'll be back blogging when my work life slows down a bit :)

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Well... I could use some hours!