Monday, September 8, 2008

I have a neck again!

I am very excited to announce that I have a neck again!!

I went to the neurosurgeon today for some xrays and a check up. They said my fractures looks much much better, but there is still a little trouble with the vertebral alignment when I bend my neck forward. They don't think it will cause any problems, but I am supposed to be very careful for the next few weeks and tell them if I have any unusual pain or numbness and tingling. Anyway, they said it was time to remove that horrible, terrible, cruel neck brace! I don't have any prescribed physical therapy, they said that my regular amount of daily activity should be enough to strengthen the muscules again. I am on an activity restriction for the next month at least (no lifting more than 10#, no pushing or pulling anything heavy, nothing excessive). I won't be able to go back to previous type of nursing for now, but I should be able to get back into some kind of nursing in the next few weeks!! Unlike Mimi's prediction, my head did not flop over to the side when the neck brace was removed! It does feel really funny though! You know those ankle weights that people use sometimes when they speed walk?? The feeling you get when you take those off is what my neck feels like, but instead of feeling like that for 5 minutes or so it's been feeling like that since about 1pm! Haha! It doesn't hurt much (yet) but it is very weak and sore. Luckily I have a nice heating pad that I'm sure will come in handy later today. My range of motion is much less than normal right now, but it will be hopefully back to normal in a few weeks. Anyway, the next few days will give me a better idea of how my neck is gonna be feeling, but right now I'm optimistic! Shawn and I are gonna chill the rest of today and have a Disney Movie Marathon!

1 comment:

The Richardson Family said...

dont bash my prediction - you have to admit it would have been funny to watch your head flop over!!!!