Friday, February 10, 2012

Snacks, cupcakes and quiche!

As you all are aware, I have become fascinated with Pinterest.  Particularly for the recipes.  I am constantly on the lookout for delicious foods to make to help break my family out of our dinner rut.  I decided to make some new snacks, as well as some old favorites for the superbowl.

Starting on the far left and moving clockwise you will find:  Judy Moulton's Taco Dip, White Queso,  Blueberry Lemon Loaf, Brownies, Pigs in a Blanket, and Honey Glazed Chicken and Bacon Bites.  Some of these are pinterest recipes, so I linked to the original site.  The brownies were a box mix...I can't make everything from scratch! 

Judy Moulton's Taco Dip
This is my favorite dip. Judy Moulton is a woman from my childhood church and she was the foods teacher in my high school. This is her recipe and I have stolen it over the years and I love it!  I always make it for parties because it is crazy easy and delicious.
Ingredients:
2 cans refriend beans
1/2 cup mayo
1 pkt taco seasoning
1 cup sour cream

Mix all ingredients well. 
Top with shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, sliced black olives, and green onions. 
Serve with tortilla chips.

Pigs in a Blanket
These are another crazy easy party food!  You just take crescent roll dough and cut it into 1/2" strips.  Wrap the little smokies in the strips in a "x" pattern.  Bake at 375 for 15 minutes and enjoy.  Heavenly!

So the superbowl snacks were a success and one of the Manning brothers won...good day all around.


Quiche

Yesterday, Mimi was here with me and she has been asking for quiche for awhile.  Mom and I have different recipes we use, but I wanted to share mine because I think it's better :)  I got this quiche recipe from my college boyfriend's mom, Karen.  It is the best quiche ever.  The recipe is for 1 quiche, but I usually make 2 at a time.

Ingredients:
1 pie shell
4 oz cream cheese
2 eggs
1/2 tsp baking powder
dash white pepper
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 pkg shredded cheese (any variety)
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
1 clove garlic, minced

Mix all ingredients into a large food processor until blended.  Pour into pie shell,  Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes.

Optional ingredients:
1 cup smoked sausage and 1/2 cup frozen peas OR
1 cup broccoli and 1/2 cup frozen peas OR
1 cup crumbled bacon

If you do add smoked sausage or bacon, you can cut out the salt because those meats are so salty.  This recipes makes it really easy to customize based on who will be eating it!

Vanilla cupcake with Caramel Frosting
I also made one othe pinterest recipe today.  A quick dessert.  It is a vanilla cupcake with caramel frosting.  The cake mix is from a box (I was not in the mood to make cake from scratch) but the caramel frosting was delicious.  The frosting didn't turn out as pretty as I had hoped, but I know better for next time.  It tastes perfect though!

After the cupcakes are cooled you start the frosting.  In a medium saucepan mix 1 cup dark brown sugar and 5 Tbsp unsalted butter over medium heat.  Add 1/4 cup milk and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.  Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly then add 1 cup powdered sugar and mix thoroughly.  Take off heat and dip the cupcake tops into the caramel and quickly replace back on the cooling rack.  This must be done quickly as the caramel hardens quickly.  I think it will work better if the caramel is left on the heat at a low level while the cupcakes are being frosted.   Not sure though.  Anyway, they are tasty!

No comments: