Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Power of Music

I have been told several times that I should watch the movie "August Rush" because I would love it, but I still hadn't seen it. Mom and I just watched it and I really liked it a lot. I mean, don't get me wrong, it was completely unrealistic and cheesy, but it really demonstrated the power that music can have over people.
I have always loved music of all kinds. I remember the day I first played the flute. It was the first day of band on the first day of school in 7th grade. My band teacher was helping us to choose our instruments. I tried the trumpet first...no go. We decided to bypass the other brass instruments...so we tried the clarinet. It was ok, but then we tried the flute. Instantly I was in love with that instrument! I practiced so hard that year and for the next few years. I loved to play! Anytime I heard music with a flute I got goosebumps. I love when music does that to you! I gave up the flute in high school and to this day I still regret it. When I remember how much pleasure I got from playing...well, I try not to remember sometimes. Music is so universal, so powerful, and still can be so peaceful. It can in an instant transform your world. Even music you don't realize you're listening to, like movie scores, is affecting you. You can hear that music in a different environment and know exactly what movie, and maybe what scene, it came from. I love that!
If you haven't seen "August Rush" I recommend it, especially if you are a music lover. Remember, it is really cheesy, but still it will leave an impact. And...if you play music or sing NEVER give it up!

No comments: