Sunday, January 27, 2008

Monuments & Memorials...

So today Shawn and I decided to go into Washington D.C. to do some sight-seeing. We took the metro in, which was really convenient, especially since my foot has been hurting a lot of the past few days and a lot of walking irritates it. We started out walking near the Capitol Building, but we didn't get very close to it today. There is so much stuff we are gonna go back a few times. We walked along the National Mall, past all the Smithsonian museums and other museums too. There is one of the Smithsonian museums that has a sculpture garden outside. It is full of really neat bronze sculptures. We took some pictures in there, especially since Shawn and I like to take goofy pictures and that was a good place for that! We made a list last night of all the different Smithsonian museums that we want to go to while we're here, because there are a bunch are we'll want to give a day to each, but we bypassed them today.



We moved then onto the Washington Monument. We didn't go up in it today but just standing at the base looking up is breathtaking! The sky was just beautiful today. Clear blue with minimal clouds. It was a gorgeous day, but it did get windy at times.



The World War II War Memorial is really interesting. There is a fountain in the center, but it wasn't turned on yet this year. The walkways of the WWII Memorial have a lot of etchings of different scenes of wartime. There were too many to take pictures of all of them, but I did get a picture of one. We walked along the Tidal Basin next up to the Lincoln Memorial. That was really interesting too. The Gettysburg Address was on one wall and Lincoln's 2nd Inaugural Address was on the other. I didn't realize how large Lincoln really was in there! 


The Vietnam War Memorial and the Korean War Memorial's were both really beautiful but sad as well. Anything like that about war depresses me and the Vietnam War Memorial was terrible for me! Just walking along the wall with so many names...I just have such a hard time dealing with that level of death. I know that is weird coming from a nurse who deals with death on a fairly regular basis, but war is different. I just don't deal with that well.


We were gonna head to the Jefferson Memorial next, but my foot really started hurting a lot so we cut the day off then. Hope you enjoy the pictures! We'll be heading back out there soon! I start working in the hospital this week on Wednesday, but I have to work dayshift this week (boo)! Hopefully I'll be back on nights soon. Looks like Shawn got a job so that's a huge weight off of his mind too. Ok...I'm gonna go make some cookies now!












No comments: