Sunday, January 20, 2008

All Moved In!

I left home about 6am Friday morning and arrived in Alexandria around 4pm. Not too bad...especially considering we stopped for breakfast and lunch and we got lost trying to get into Alexandria! We weren't lost very long though...but I did have to stop and ask directions and buy a local map (and anyone who knows me at all knows how frustrating it is for me to be lost and have to ask for directions!)


My apartment is really nice. It's not huge, about the size of my last apartment in Bloomington, but plenty big for me. There is a nice sized bathroom and a walk in closet. The furniture they provided is pretty nice too. It is also a gated community, which is really nice. You have to have a key to open the gate to get onto the property even if you're walking. That is a nice perk. I think it'll do :) Alexandria is really nice too. The apartment complex is right across the street from a shopping center that has a Barnes and Noble, a Target, a BestBuy, a Starbucks, a Dunkin Donuts, an Old Navy, a grocery store, etc. I'm all set! We went yesterday for a few hours down to Old Town Alexandria. It is a really nice area in the center of town where most of the buildings from the original settlement are located. I forgot to take my camera though, so I'll be heading back to take some pictures. There was a really nice guy working at the visitors center who gave me a lot of good information. I have several area maps now and a long list of stuff to do in Alexandria and D.C.! I'm ready to get started! The Old Town area has a lot of cute shops and restaurants. There is a lot of different ethnic food restaurants too. I'll be able to try several kinds of foods I've never tried before. The end of the main strip of Old Town is a pier/dock on the Potomac. There is an old Torpedo factory there was that was converted into an Art Center and there is an Archeology museum there as well. There are boat rides along the Potomac offered there too, and several parks and walkways are right along the river. I think there is gonna be a lot to do here. I promise I will take some pictures soon...I think we're gonna go back tomorrow and take some pictures, so keep watching for those!

I start my job Tuesday, but the first week in just orientation stuff so I won't be actually working with any patients yet nor will I meet any of my coworkers. I have to learn to use the computer system and other stuff like that. Plus all hospitals have there own policies and procedures that are pretty important, so they'll need to go over all that kind of stuff. I did drive out to the hospital today so I could make sure how to get there and take a look at it. It doesn't look very big, but that is fine with me! I'll have more to update about work next week. Anyway, I made it out here safely and I'm all settled! My adventure has begun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear about the job. You are making me jealous about the apt and site seeing. I'm glad you are doing this before having kids. I may never get a chance.
Keep me posted on your travels. I love to live vicariously trough others.
Lori