Sunday, May 20, 2012

Mouse Trap

Earlier this year, Eric brought home two mice from school.  They had used these mice in psychology class for a training experiment.  He named one mouse (Franklin) and I named the other (Taco Grande).  They have been living happily in a cage in his room.

Mom has never been overly happy about the mice in the house.  She is not a huge fan of rodents, but Eric really wanted to keep them so they stayed.  They have lived with us for a few months now.  We have discovered that they are incredibly stinky.  Like really stinky.  I don't know how Eric sleeps in the same room as those mice!

Now for the story.

Yesterday morning I was trying to leave for work.  It was about 5 til 6am and Marcie was desperately trying to get at something under the couch.  She does this fairly often...usually it is some toy or a ball or something.  I got down there and tried to see what was there so I could get it out for her before I left.  I was afraid she would starting crying and wake up the family if she couldn't get to it.  I didn't see anything and so I just left for work with her still trying to wiggle under the couch.

When I got home from work last night I was informed that Taco Grande was missing from his cage.  Ah.  So that is what Marcie was trying to get under the couch!  The mystery was solved.

Now Mom was totally freaking out!  There is a mouse roaming somewhere in our apartment!  Oh no!   Mom thought maybe it had gotten out of the house during the day when we had the door to the porch open.  Maybe.

Maybe not.  This morning I was woken up suddenly by Marcie banging against the stove.  Loudly.   She was trying to pull open the drawer under stove.  Then I heard it.  The mouse!  Taco Grande was hiding under the stove!  I woke up Mom and Eric and we pulled out the drawer just in time to see Taco Grander run back behind the cabinet toward the fridge!  He's still alive and well!  Now...how do we catch him?? 

I know Marcie won't give up!



No comments: