Sunday, May 27, 2012

Couscous Salad

Recently, in preparation for pregnancy, I have been doing a lot of pregnancy research (in part to distract me from not being pregnant).  Since I am overweight currently, the dietary aspects of pregnancy have been the most interesting I have found.  I know how important a healthy weight gain is during a regular pregnancy, but since I am already overweight then a healthy weight gain is even more important.  I know what you are thinking..."but Lisa is terrible at dieting and eating healthy."  True as that may be, I think I can do it!  If (when) I get pregnant I will continue to share recipes as I find them!  For now, enjoy this one that I love!!

Couscous salad with chickpeas and vegetables
(Pregnancy benefit: Protein, iron, vitamin C, folic acid and fiber)

Ingredients:
3 cups cooked couscous (3/4 cup uncooked)
2 Tbsp wine vinegar
1 sm clove garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
3 Tbsp olive oil
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup diced red peppers
2/3 cup chickpeas
2/3 canned artichoke hearts, quartered
1/2 cup olives, any variety (I used black olives)
1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted (I did not include this)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup finely sliced scallions
fresh lemon juice, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste

1.  Cook couscous according to package directions.  Transfer to large bowl and allow to cool.
2.  Make dressing in small bowl, mix the vinegar, garlic, and mustard until well blended.  Add olive oil and mix well.  Set aside.
3. Add remaining ingredients, except lemon juice and salt and pepper, to couscous.  Mix.  Add dressing and mix gently until well combined.  Add lemon juice and adjust seasoning.  Serve! 
4. Keeps for 3 days refrigerated. 




No comments: