Saturday, November 12, 2011

Eggnog

Eric and I were talking about eggnog the other day (I know...we're weird) and he was asking me about if it usually contained alcohol.  I thought it sometimes did, but I realized I didn't know much about eggnog...which happens to be one of my very favorite beverages!  So I decided to do a bit of research.
Eggnog

Origin is unknown, but believed to be English during medieval times.
Contains milk, sugar, raw eggs, spices (including nutmeg), brandy and sometimes cream.
English aristocrats drank it mainly because the ingredients were expensive.
After the movement to the new world in the 18th century, began using rum since brandy was heavily taxed.
During the Revolutionary War domestic whiskey and burbon were used due to the short supply of rum.
Drinking it cold and without alcohol has only been practiced since the 1960's.
Currently, commercially produced eggnog cannot contain raw eggs.

So, that is my brief history of eggnog.
Not that any of this matters.
All that matters is that it is delicious!

I will take it anyway I can...plain, as a latte, as a Godiva truffle, as IHOP pancakes, as ice cream...I'm not picky!


I know its not the Thanksgiving quite yet, but I bought my first half-gallon of the season today!  Yummmmmmmmm!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Ooooh I want some..... BTW, homemade egg nog with rum is beyond yummy! we need to make some.