Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Light

Throughout my life, I have come to enjoy many different types of music.  I really don't think there is any kind of music that I can't at least appreciate, even if it is something that I wouldn't want to listen to regularly (for example, the screaming metal stuff that Eric loves).  That being said, I have always loved to sing and dance, so anything that I can sing to is usually my favorite.  Over the last few years I have found 3 female musicians that I absolutely love!  I could listen to all of their music, any day, any time.  I buy the full albums, because the best songs are the ones you'd never hear on the radio.

The first musician I am sure you've heard of: Taylor Swift.
I know that she's crazy popular, but I admit it...I love her music.  Her music takes me back to when I was 15.  She doesn't try to be something she's not and I love that you can follow her growing up and maturing in her music.  Her new album, Speak Now, just came out last week and it is great!  Totally lives up to her previous 2 albums. 
My favorite song: The Best Day

The second musician I am sure you've probably never heard of: Erin McCarley.
  I met her a few years ago when she was doing a tour called the Ten out of Tenn tour.  It was a tour of 10 musicians that live in Nashville, TN and are trying to make it big in music.  One of my favorite male musicians, Andy Davis, was on this tour which is what drew my attention.  My friend Megan McVicker and I when to Indianapolis to work the merchandise table for the show, which is where I first heard her music.  She's amazing!  He only has one album so far, Love, Save the Empty, but it is great! 
My favorite song: Bobblehead

The last musician is Sara Bareilles
She entered the spotlight a couple of years ago with the song Love Song.  It was a huge hit and I decided to get her whole album because I loved that song...and I was surprised to find that it was one of my least favorite songs on the album!  Her new album was released recently and it is even better.  Her songs seems to really speak to the listeners...no matter what you're feeling.  One song inparticular spoke to me and I wanted to share the lyrics.

The Light
In the morning it comes, heaven sent a hurricane.
Not a trace of the sun, but I don't even run from rain.
Beating out of my chest, my heart is holding on to you.
From the moment I knew.
From the moment I knew.

You're the air in my breath, filling up my love soaked lungs.
Such a beautiful mess, intertwined and overrun.
Nothing better than this, ooh and then the storm can come.
You feel just like the sun.
Just like the sun.

And if you say we'll be alright.
I'm gonna trust you babe.
I'm gonna look in your eyes.
And if you say we'll be alright, I'll follow you into the light.

Nevermind what I knew. Nothing seems to matter now.
Ooh, who I was without you, I can do without.
No one knows where it ends, how it may come tumbling down.
But I'm here with you now.
Here with you now.

Let the world come rush in.
Come down hard, come crushing.
All I need is right here beside me.
I'm not enough, I swear it.
But take my love and wear it over your shoulders.

And if you say we'll be alright.
I'm gonna trust you babe.
I'm gonna look in your eyes.
And if you say we'll be alright, I'll follow you into the light.

 This song makes me thing of my wonderful husband, Shawn.  I tell him everyday, but I hope he always knows how much I love him and what he means to me!  I love when music can say what is in your heart...especially because I am not very poetic and I can't always write or speak the true magnitude of what is in my heart and mind.  This is probably one of the reasons music brings me to tears so often...seriously, almost daily! One of the many reasons I love music so much. 


No comments: