Thursday, July 22, 2010

I'm still here....

Sorry for the somewhat lengthy absence from Blogger!  I have been super busy the last couple of weeks.  I finished working at Mt. Sinai in Chicago last Thursday morning.  I will really, REALLY miss my coworkers, but I am not going to pretend that I will miss working at that particular hospital.  I now know that I absolutely made the right choice in leaving there since I have started work here in Austin.  My last night at work, LaTosha and the gang had a breakfast food carry-in meal.  It was awesome!  We had french toast, bacon, pancakes, waffles, fruit, etc.  It was great!  LaTosha also brought in sherbert and raspberry ginger ale and made a punch at the beginning of the shift.  It was so perfect.  What a great group of people to work with!

I drove down to Austin (by myself) last Friday & Saturday.  The drive wasn't too bad, but I broke the drive into 2 days to make sure I didn't get too sleepy.  I stayed overnight at a Hampton Inn in Joplin, MO (really nice hotel, if you ever have a need for overnight accommodations there.)  It was right across the street from an Outback Steakhouse, so I ate dinner there at the bar.  I sat next to a couple that looked about my age, maybe a little older.  I figured I would be able to drink my beer and read in peace.  Not so much luck.  The guy was super chatty and really annoying...as well as super creepy.  I would have been embarrassed to be his wife with the things he was saying to me.  Then a really nice trucker in his mid-50's sat down beside me and we had a really nice chat.  He had been a LPN in Vietnam so we were talking about healthcare.  Really nice guy.  Anyway, the rest of my trip to Austin was fairly uneventful.  The drive took about 18 hours total, which is better than I expected.  

I started orientation at my new hospital on Monday.  As much as I hate general hospital orientation, this one wasn't too bad.  The management seems really awesome and everyone at the hospital really, genuinely seems to enjoy working there.  It is very reassuring. My nurse manager is awesome and I have a wonderful educator as well.  I am really excited to get started working on the floor.  I have some training first in the newborn nursery and a few classes but then I get to start my orientation period in the NICU.  It is a really nice NICU and I think I'm going to like it a lot.  Once I get back to nights.  I will be on dayshift for 3 weeks still.  Boo.  Too early for me.  I am not working this next week because we still need to actually move down to Austin.  I am flying back to Chicago on Saturday morning.  Dad is going to pick me up at the airport and then we're going to spend the day together...ending with dinner at Lou Malnati's with my Aunt & Uncle and cousins.  Can't leave Chicago without dinner at Lou's!  It's our favorite!  Sunday we'll be leaving Oak Park.  We really will miss it there though.  After swinging by Muncie to get Mom and Eric (and all their stuff) we'll start the journey to Austin. We should arrive Wednesday afternoon to get moved into our new apartment.   So i'll try to post again after we get moved in and internet all set up!

BTW...Logan is doing awesome!  He smiles now and mimicks us when we stick our tongue out at him.  So cute!  I am so excited to get to see him all the time!!

No comments: