Thursday, November 20, 2008

Not ready to say goodbye...

I received some terrible news yesterday. One of my best friends ever and someone that I spent 4-1/2 years with in high school and college was killed in a car accident. Leif Nissen was a great person and a great friend. I have so many happy memories that involve him and I am just not ready to say goodbye yet. I don't know if that is just me being selfish, but I just can't do it yet. The news came as a complete shock and I am devastated. I have never felt a pain like this before and I hope I never have to again. Over the past few years we didn't get to see each other much, but when we did we always had a great time. Even when it had been months since we'd talked or seen each other, we were always able to pick up just as if it had only been hours. He was someone I could always talk to so easily because I knew he wouldn't judge me. Leif was someone I would trust with the deepest aspects of my soul and I have always cherished his friendship. He has been such a huge part of my life for so long and I still have so much I want to tell him that I just can't say goodbye yet.

I have so many memories of Leif that I could share and I need to talk about him to help myself grieve, so here are some of the things about Leif that made me love him. Leif was my annoying Physics lab partner in high school and he always messed up all our data! When we got our pictures back from the first dance we went to together he showed everyone who walked by us so he could tell them how much he liked the picture of us. He was my first love and the reason that I enjoyed college so much. He convinced me to go to IU with him so we could stay together after high school, and in the process we met some fantastic people that have become true friends. He was the one who made me realize that although I had the potential to be a doctor I would be happier as a nurse because it would allow me to have a family and still help people. He helped me move my grandparents stuff in a moving truck from Miami to Indiana (and he only complained a little - haha). He always pretended that my cooking was as good as his mom's, even though I new he was full of shit! He gave me my beloved Chandler as a gift, and to this day I have never received a gift that I have loved so much. He always knew what to say to make me feel better, even when he was the one who had caused the pain. He always opened his home to me and my friends when I wanted to come to visit. Even when our lives moved in different directions, when we lived in different states, had different friends and different relationships, we remained close friends.
Leif will be in my heart always and forever.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize the depth of your relationship with Leif. I was touched by what you wrote. Yes, it is the worst thing you have ever went through, but you need to know he is in a better place. I still miss Aaron and it still aches my heart when I think of him, but we will be together someday, I know that. He is with Grandma and Grandpa Schroeder now. It might help you to write a journal about all your memories. Then from time to time you can pull it out and read it. I love you Lisa. Colleen