Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Harry Potter!!

As I'm sure you know, I LOVE HARRY POTTER! 

Not the character himself, or necessarily the actor...but basically everything about the books (and sometimes the movies).  Right now is one of the rare times you will hear me say nice things about the movies.  I'm not saying that I hate the movies (I don't) but I will never say that I love them.  Or even that they're great...they're just good.  Sort of.  Some more than others.  Anyway, I won't say anything bad about the first 6 movies right now.  I'll concentrate right now on the 7th movie...where it all ends :(


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows


This book is the best in the series.  It is the conclusion of 7 years of Harry's life in the wizarding world and concludes with the ultimate battle of good versus evil.  And I mean BATTLE! Awesome!  The book is so jam packed with material essential to the story that is was broken into 2 parts for the film.  Early on in the filmmaking, the producers decided to concentrate the films on what is going on that directly relates to Harry.  This is how they chose what parts of the books to leave out of the previous films.  Anything not directly related to Harry (and the Voldemort connection) was left out of the films. I don't typically think breaking a book into 2 parts for a film is a good idea, but it was totally necessary for this film.  If you didn't read the books (MISTAKE!  DO IT NOW!  IT WON'T TAKE LONG!) then Part 1 was probably pretty boring for you and likely pretty confusing as well.  The concept of Voldemort's horcruxes is brought up in the 6th film (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince) but the concept isn't really explained well.  Part 2 of the film is basically a war.  The story progressively gets darker and more sinister through the series from innocent 11 year old Harry entering school and culminating with Harry fighting for his life and the lives of all the people he loves, as well as everyone in the wizarding world and muggles as well.  The film is will made and the most important parts of the book are in the film and done well.  I laughed, cheered, and of course I cried.


There was only one thing I was disappointed in for this film.  The lack of completion of the Deathly Hallows story.  The Deathly Hallows are vitally important to the story in this book and the entire Harry Potter saga.  Without the Dealthy Hallows (all 3 of them) Harry would never have survived and ultimately killed Voldemort.  The movie never established this!  They never even touched on the fact that Harry's invisibility cloak IS one of the Hallows.  That would have been pretty impotant to know.  If they were just going to talk about the Elder Wand then why even bring up the story of the 3 brothers in Part 1 and mention that there are 3 Hallows?  When Harry opened the snitch and found the Resurrection Stone, they didn't really say was it was.  It just sort of did its thing and that was that.   But the fact that Harry ended the story in possesion of all 3 Hallows is really important!  He was "the master of death."  Kind of an important point, don't you think?  Might explain how he survived being killed by Voldemort...again.  I know that the movies are designed to supplement the books.  They can't put in everything, but this seemed like a huge oversight to me!  The Deathly Hallows are my favorite part! 

(Stayed tuned later this year for my next tattoo...it will look something like this next picture!)

Anyway...the bottom line is that Harry Potter is over.  Boo.  I'm so sad about that!  I was sad enough when the books were finished, but now the films too.  What will I look forward too now?  I guess we'll see in October how much Pottermore can ease my withdrawl!

No comments: