Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Busy Busy

We have been doing lots of stuff in D.C. this past week. We went to the Smithsonian Air & Space museum (but we'll need another day there - plus there are several interesting iMax movies there now that seem really interesting!). We also went to the Holocaust Museum the other day...that we intense! I was incredibly depressed the whole rest of the day but it was totally worth it. What an interesting experience. The main exhibit was so informative and vivid. There were lots of videos from the time plus lots and lots of pictures. The pictures and stories were a little hard for me to take at times, especially when they involved children, but I made it through. We only did the main exhibit, but I'm planning on going back for the other exhibits. We went yesterday to The National Archives to get a look at the Charters of Freedom, unfortunately the Constitution isn't on display right now due to some remodeling in the Rotunda area where they are all displayed. We did get to see the Declaration of Independence though and that was neat! We were gonna try to go back to some of the memorials that evening to see them all lit up, but it was WAY too cold. So we're gonna put that off until some warmer weather!

Work still sucks...I did have one good day this past Saturday, but it was a fluke! It was the only day so far that we were appropriately staffed, which is why it didn't suck. I had an appropriate patient load so I actually had time to talk to my patients! I didn't have to run from one room to another! My patient's had access to me if they needed me, and I liked that! I don't see it happening very often though. I'm a total sucker though...they called today to see if I would pick up an extra shift tomorrow and I said I would (I know, I'm pathetic! Overtime pay though...might be worth it!) I'm still stuck on dayshift and I'm afraid I'll be on days longer than I would like. They are staffed better at night and so that'll make it difficult for them to put me on nights :( We'll see.

Only 10 more weeks to go!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a real nurse. Always a sucker because we think about our patients suffering not ourselves. I've been working 1 night of OT a week since late October. It stopped for all af 3 weeks in January and is starting back up for atleast another 6 weeks. We have been chronically short staffed in the Labor and Delivery department. I work in a small hospital and when there is not someone in labor we have to float to all the different areas. Needless to say, I get to do ICU, MedSurg and ER as well as my home unit of L&D, PP and nursery.

Keep me posted on how your travels are going. I like to read about them.

Lori

Anonymous said...

Indeed the sites in Washington are very fun to go see and to interact with. The holocaust things sound a little scary so i think its time to visit the African American Museum, thats right I said it...AFRICAN AMERICAN. It is black history month so lets all reflect and think about how they have a museum for us annnnnddddd not the indians...or do they? Anywho as I sit here with Miss Wonderful, which is Theresa I can only think about my other two friends who are off exploring on their own. (Sigh) Life is a big challenge and we both know you guys have been through a lot of them. So I close with this...Life and change may seem like a rubics cube, you think you got it one minute but then you don't. Don't be afraid to back track your last steps just to figure it out in the end. God is love and love is god.

Albert