Sunday, May 4, 2008

Welcome to Oak Park

We've been here in Oak Park, Illinois for about a week now. The apartment is really nice and just the right size for us. The street we live on runs right through an area of town with all kinds of restaurants, shops, a movie theater, several coffee shops and ice cream places, and we are walking distance from three grocery stores! We also only live about 2 blocks from the cta train that we can take right into Chicago! I think we've finally got stuff settled in the apartment and have cable hooked up.

I started work this past Monday and I worked three days in a row so that I would have some time off to get settled. The hospital is nice and only 4 miles from my apartment. It is going to a slight adjustment because the hospital uses paper charting still, which is kind of strange. I've only ever worked with computer charting and this is kind of an old system. I'm getting used to it though. The management is better though and I know that I will be fine. They are short on staff so I will be able to work overtime if I want. Shawn had a few interviews this past week, but the one job that seemed to fit the best and where he thought he'd be offered a job he declined because the hours were going to suck. He has two more interviews tomorrow though so hopefully one of those will work out.

The first night we were here we went to Lou Malnati's Pizzeria with my Dad, Ana, and my stepbrother Niko. Lou's is my favorite pizza ever...so I had to make sure that Shawn experienced it pretty quickly! My cousin Tommy's First Communion was on Saturday so Shawn got to meet most of my Dad's family. Not everyone was there, but I did get to see my family so that was fun. Shawn and I went into Chicago today. We went to Millennium Park and saw Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park. We also walked up and down the Magnificent Mile of Michigan Avenue. Oddly enough, we ran into two of our friends from Ball State near Watertower Plaza. Crazy! Here are some pictures from our day.



No comments: